A blog engine on Hack http://github.com/nfjinjing/bamboo/tree/master
|Latest on Hackage:||2010.2.25|
This package is not currently in any snapshots. If you're interested in using it, we recommend adding it to Stackage Nightly. Doing so will make builds more reliable, and allow stackage.org to host generated Haddocks.
Bamboo: a blog engine on hack
Bamboo is a port of Panda, but runs on top of Hack. It’s an experimental project but quite portable.
The Bamboo codebase is a mess!!! But Haskell is so reliable that left me no incentive to do a rewrite.
So just use it, build middleware for it, or better yet write a new blog engine so everyone can benefit :)
plain text as data source
blog_title = C大调 blog_subtitle = 野猫不吃薯片 host_name = jinjing.easymic.com author_email = firstname.lastname@example.org navigation = About per_page = 7 sidebar = Blogroll.md favicon = bamboo_icon.png
- posts are in plain text
- SCM for publishing / data managing ( not really a feature, but a design goal from the beginning )
- blindly follows the KISS principle from code to UI: be a simple blog, no more no less
By it’s middleware nature, bamboo could be used with other hack middleware to achieve extensibility; Bamboo plugins are also middleware, so they can be used not only in bamboo, but any other CMS like web application.
Easy install in 3 steps
1. update cabal
2. install bamboo
cabal install happy cabal install bamboo-launcher
mkdir myblog cd myblog bamboo
Bird view architecture
hack-interface : 1. bamboo-hack-compatible-layer -- bamboo-controller -- bamboo-theme 2. [ bamboo-plugins ] 3. [ hack-middleware-stack ]
bamboo can be customized in 3 ways:
Theme is separated from the bamboo’s controller, connected through an interface and a state.
Though theme could be pure, it has the type of
data Interface = Index | IndexFeed | Post | Static | Tag | TagFeed | Search deriving (Show, Eq) type Theme = Interface -> State -> IO Response
This makes theme creation a relatively complex task, since a theme author basically has to do everything: from html construction to model manipulation. But since state is passed purely and return type is in IO, it also provides the ultimate safety and flexibility to theme construction, something unmatched by any main stream web frameworks. Integrating twitter? no problem, do them in IO.
Plugin is a proper hack middleware, so it works on an upper layer of the blog engine. It has all the power of a middleware, i.e. intercept request and response, and also the limitation, e.g. no idea of the underlying data structure of the app.
Plugin can be used to to do customization on the env object, or transformation to the response body. An example plugin is syntax highlighting, which could be done in the core, but would be more lightweight ( in terms of architecture design ) to be separated into a plugin.
You are hence not limited to use just bamboo-plugins to customize your blog, any hack-middleware which suite your need will do.
db/config/theme, you can customize precisely which
js / css files to use, this allows client side customization and also lightweight configuration without compilation.
- Hack Contrib
Feature (in git repo)
- add post in shell: scripts/mkentry.sh, thanks to Григорий Холомьёв
- demo post receive hook update remote repo: scripts/post-receive
- clean up deps
- fix 2010 date
- comment bug
- compatible with mps
- compatible with latest mps
- respect hack.script_name, this allows bamboo to be mounted in a sub path without configuration in site.txt
- completely separate view
- new theme interface
- new architecture taking advantage of hack
- -Wall -fno-warn-orphans clean
- use instead of
- content-type for rss set to “application/rss+xml”
- use strict bytestring in IO to release handle eagarly
- cached posts / static page for performance
- cached most IO
- use bytestring for performance ( 1.8 x increase )
- properly update etag key for page, when tags are updated
- add missing model counter
- note, I changed rss to strict == 3000.0.1, since happstack depends on HaXml 1.13 or something, which is not compatible with the latest rss package.
- for hack 5.19
- use renderHtml for strict html headers
- Add Type.Cache to cabal
- use tokyocabinet for caching
use_cache = yin
- cache db will be in
- Add comment support
- Compatible with mps 5.13
- remove unnecessary dependencies
- Compatible with hack 4.52
- use Content Length in new hack-contrib
- Work with hack.contrib 4.50
- use new hack structure
- middleware should be in Main.hs too, so bamboo is just an other middleware that can be plugged into any webapp
- Handler is now configured at Main.hs
- Use hyena handler by default
- A pretty logger to stderr
- Auto set content-size
- Panda ported to Hack, with a new name