Module documentation for 0.1.4.1
The Haskell Tool Stack
Stack is a cross-platform program for developing Haskell projects. It is intended for Haskellers both new and experienced.
See haskellstack.org or the
doc directory for more
A new command,
script, has been added, intended to make the script interpreter workflow more reliable, easier to use, and more efficient. This command forces the user to provide a
--resolvervalue, ignores all config files for more reproducible results, and optimizes the existing package check to make the common case of all packages already being present much faster. This mode does require that all packages be present in a snapshot, however. #2805
- The default package metadata backend has been changed from Git to the 01-index.tar.gz file, from the hackage-security project. This is intended to address some download speed issues from Github for people in certain geographic regions. There is now full support for checking out specific cabal file revisions from downloaded tarballs as well. If you manually specify a package index with only a Git URL, Git will still be used. See #2780
When you provide the
--resolverargument to the
stack unpackcommand, any packages passed in by name only will be looked up in the given snapshot instead of taking the latest version. For example,
stack --resolver lts-7.14 unpack mtlwill get version 2.2.1 of
mtl, regardless of the latest version available in the package indices. This will also force the same cabal file revision to be used as is specified in the snapshot.
Unpacking via a package identifier (e.g.
stack --resolver lts-7.14 unpack mtl-2.2.1) will ignore any settings in the snapshot and take the most recent revision.
For backwards compatibility with tools relying on the presence of a
00-index.tar, Stack will copy the
00-index.tar. Note, however, that these files are different; most importantly, 00-index contains only the newest revisions of cabal files, while 01-index contains all versions. You may still need to update your tooling.
--(no-)nix-*options now no longer implies
--nix, except for
--nix-pure, so that the user preference whether or not to use Nix is honored even in the presence of options that change the Nix behavior.
- Internal cleanup: configuration types are now based much more on lenses
stack buildand related commands now allow the user to disable debug symbol stripping with new
--no-executable-shippingflags, closing #877. Also turned error message for missing targets more readable (#2384)
stack haddocknow shows index.html paths when documentation is already up to date. Resolved #781
- Respects the
custom-setupfield introduced in Cabal 1.24. This supercedes any
explicit-setup-depssettings in your
stack.yamland trusts the package's
.cabalfile to explicitly state all its dependencies.
- If system package installation fails,
get-stack.shwill fail as well. Also shows warning suggesting to run
apt-get updateor similar, depending on the OS. (#2898)
stack ghciis run with a config with no packages (e.g. global project), it will now look for source files in the current work dir. (#2878)
- Bump to hpack 0.17.0 to allow
- The script interpreter will now output error logging. In particular, this means it will output info about plan construction errors. (#2879)
stack ghcinow takes
--ghc-optionsagain (inadverently removed in 1.3.0). (#2986)
stack execnow takes
--rts-optionswhich passes the given arguments inside of
+RTS ... args .. -RTSto the executable. This works around stack itself consuming the RTS flags on Windows. (#2986)
http-client-tlsversion, which now offers support for the
socks5h://values in the
- Bump to hpack 0.16.0 to avoid character encoding issues when reading and writing on non-UTF8 systems.
stack ghciwill no longer ignore hsSourceDirs that contain
stack list-dependencies --licensenow works for wired-in-packages, like base. (#2871)
stack setupnow correctly indicates when it uses system ghc (#2963)
- Fix to
stack config set, in 1.3.2 it always applied to the global project. (#2709)
- Previously, cabal files without exe or lib would fail on the "copy" step. (#2862)
stack upgrade --gitnow works properly. Workaround for affected versions (>= 1.3.0) is to instead run
stack upgrade --git --source-only. (#2977)
- Added support for GHC 8's slightly different warning format for dumping warnings from logs.
- Work around a bug in Cabal/GHC in which package IDs are not unique for different source code, leading to Stack not always rebuilding packages depending on local packages which have changed. (#2904)
stack config setcan now be used without a compiler installed #2852.
get-stack.shnow installs correct binary on ARM for generic linux and raspbian, closing #2856.
- Correct the testing of whether a package database exists by checking
package.cachefile itself instead of the containing directory.
- Revert a change in the previous release which made it impossible to set local extra-dep packages as targets. This was overkill; we really only wanted to disable their test suites, which was already handled by a later patch. #2849
stack newalways treats templates as being UTF-8 encoding, ignoring locale settings on a local machine. See Yesod mailing list discussion
For the next stack release after this one, we are planning changes to our Linux releases, including dropping our Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and Fedora package repositories and switching to statically linked binaries. See #2534. Note that upgrading without a package manager has gotten easier with new binary upgrade support in
stack upgrade(see the Major Changes section below for more information). In addition, the get.haskellstack.org script no longer installs from Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, or Fedora package repositories. Instead it places a generic binary in /usr/local/bin.
Stack will now always use its own GHC installation, even when a suitable GHC installation is available on the PATH. To get the old behaviour, use the
--system-ghcflag or run
stack config set system-ghc --global true. Docker- and Nix-enabled projects continue to use the GHC installations in their environment by default.
NB: Scripts that previously used stack in combination with a system GHC installation should now include a
stack setupline or use the
stack ghcinow defaults to skipping the build of target packages, because support has been added for invoking "initial build steps", which create autogen files and run preprocessors. The
--no-buildflag is now deprecated because it should no longer be necessary. See #1364
Stack is now capable of doing binary upgrades instead of always recompiling a new version from source. Running
stack upgradewill now default to downloading a binary version of Stack from the most recent release, if one is available. See
stack upgrade --helpfor more options. #1238
--resolver Xwith a Stack command which forces creation of a global project config, will pass resolver X into the initial config. See #2579.
Switch the "Run from outside project" messages to debug-level, to avoid spamming users in the normal case of non-project usage
If a remote package is specified (such as a Git repo) without an explicit
extra-depsetting, a warning is given to the user to provide one explicitly.
stack haddocknow supports
--haddock-internal. See #2229
- Add support for
stack config setcommand.
ghc-buildoption to override autodetected GHC build to use (e.g. gmp4, tinfo6, nopie) on Linux.
stack setupdetects systems where gcc enables PIE by default (such as Ubuntu 16.10 and Hardened Gentoo) and adjusts the GHC
configureoptions accordingly. #2542
- Upload to Hackage with HTTP digest instead of HTTP basic.
stack list-dependenciesunderstand all of the
stack dotoptions too.
- Add the ability for
stack list-dependenciesto list dependency licenses by passing the
- Dump logs that contain warnings for any local non-dependency packages #2545
- Add the
dump-logsconfig option and
--dump-logscommand line option to get full build output on the console. #426
- Add the
--openoption to "stack hpc report" command, causing the report to be opened in the browser.
stack config setcommand now accepts a
--globalflag for suitable fields which causes it to modify the global user configuration (
~/.stack/config.yaml) instead of the project configuration. #2675
- Information on the latest available snapshots is now downloaded from S3 instead of stackage.org, increasing reliability in case of stackage.org outages. #2653
stack list-dependenciesnow take targets and flags. #1919
stack setup --stack-setup-yamlfor
--setup-info-yamlbased on discussion in #2647.
--main-isflag for GHCI now implies the TARGET, fixing #1845.
stack ghcino longer takes all build options, as many weren't useful #2199
--no-time-in-logoption, to make verbose logs more diffable #2727
--coloroption added to override auto-detection of ANSI support #2725
- Missing extra-deps are now warned about, adding a degree of typo detection #1521
- No longer warns about missing build-tools if they are on the PATH. #2235
- Replace enclosed-exceptions with safe-exceptions. #2768
- The install location for GHC and other programs can now be configured with the
- Added option to add nix dependencies as nix GC roots
- Proper pid 1 (init) process for
stack execwith Docker
- Dump build logs if they contain warnings. #2545
- Docker: redirect stdout of
docker pullto stderr so that it will not interfere with output of other commands.
- Nix & docker can be activated at the same time, in order to run stack in a nix-shell in a container, preferably from an image already containing the nix dependencies in its /nix/store
- Stack/nix: Dependencies can be added as nix GC roots, so they are not removed
- Fixed a gnarly bug where programs and package tarballs sometimes have corrupted downloads. See #2657.
- Add proper support for non-ASCII characters in file paths for the
sdistcommand. See #2549
- Never treat
extra-deplocal packages as targets. This ensures things like test suites are not run for these packages, and that build output is not hidden due to their presence.
- Fix a resource leak in
sinkProcessStderrStdoutwhich could affect much of the codebase, in particular copying precompiled packages. #1979
- Docker: ensure that interrupted extraction process does not cause corrupt file when downloading a Docker-compatible Stack executable #2568
- Fixed running
stack hpc reporton package targets. #2664
- Fix a long-standing performance regression where stack would parse the .dump-hi files of the library components of local packages twice. #2658
- Fixed a regression in "stack ghci --no-load", where it would prompt for a main module to load. #2603
- Build Setup.hs files with the threaded RTS, mirroring the behavior of cabal-install and enabling more complex build systems in those files.
- Fixed a bug in passing along
--ghc-optionsto ghcjs. They were being provided as
--ghc-optionsto Cabal, when it needs to be
- Launch Docker from the project root regardless of the working
directory Stack is invoked from. This means paths relative to the project root
(e.g. environment files) can be specified in
stack setup --reinstallnow behaves as expected. #2554
On many Un*x systems, Stack can now be installed with a simple one-liner:
wget -qO- https://get.haskellstack.org/ | sh
The fix for #2175 entails that stack must perform a full clone of a large Git repo of Hackage meta-information. The total download size is about 200 MB. Please be aware of this when upgrading your stack installation.
If you use Mac OS X, you may want to delay upgrading to macOS Sierra as there are reports of GHC panics when building some packages (including Stack itself). See #2577
This version of Stack does not build on ARM or PowerPC systems (see store#37). Please stay with version 1.1.2 for now on those architectures. This will be rectified soon!
We are now releasing a statically linked Stack binary for 64-bit Linux. Please try it and let us know if you run into any trouble on your platform.
We are planning some changes to our Linux releases, including dropping our Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and Fedora package repositories and switching to statically linked binaries. We would value your feedback in #2534.
stack hooglecommand. #55
- Support for absolute file path in
- Add support for rendering GHCi scripts targeting different GHCi like applications #2457
stack ide startand
stack ide load-targetscommands. #2178
- Support .buildinfo files in
stack ghci. #2242
- Support -ferror-spans syntax in GHC error messages.
- Avoid unpacking ghc to
- The Linux
gmp4GHC bindist is no longer considered a full-fledged GHC variant and can no longer be specified using the
ghc-variantoption, and instead is treated more like a slightly different platform.
- Use the
storepackage for binary serialization of most caches.
- Only require minor version match for Docker stack exe. This way, we can make patch releases for version bounds and similar build issues without needing to upload new binaries for Docker.
- Stack/Nix: Passes the right ghc derivation as an argument to the
shell.nixwhen a custom
shell.nixis used See #2243
- Stack/Nix: Sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATHso packages using C libs for Template Haskell can work (See e.g. this HaskellR issue)
- Parse CLI arguments and configuration files into less permissive types, improving error messages for bad inputs. #2267
- Add the ability to explictly specify a gcc executable. #593
- Nix: No longer uses LTS mirroring in nixpkgs. Gives to nix-shell a derivation
- Perform some subprocesses during setup concurrently, slightly speeding up most commands. #2346
stack setupno longer unpacks to the system temp dir on posix systems. #996
stack setupdetects libtinfo6 and ncurses6 and can download alternate GHC bindists #257 #2302.
stack setupdetects Linux ARMv7 downloads appropriate GHC bindist #2103
stackbinaries list dependency versions in output for
--version. See #2222 and #2450.
- Use a pretty printer to output dependency resolution errors. #1912
- Remove the
- Add 'netbase' and 'ca-certificates' as dependency for .deb packages. #2293.
stack ide targetscommand.
- Enhance debug logging with subprocess timings.
- Pretty-print YAML parse errors #2374
- Clarify confusing
stack setupoutput #2314
Stack.Typesmultimodule to improve build times #2405
- Remove spurious newlines in build logs #2418
- Interpreter: Provide a way to hide implicit packages #1208
- Check executability in exec lookup #2489
- Fix cabal warning about use of a deprecated cabal flag #2350
- Support most executable extensions on Windows #2225
- Detect resolver change in
- Fix a bug in docker image creation where the wrong base image was selected #2376
- Ignore special entries when unpacking tarballs #2361
- Fixes src directory pollution of
highlight.jswith GHC 8's haddock #2429
- Handle filepaths with spaces in
- Apply ghc-options to snapshot packages #2289
- stack sdist: Fix timestamp in tarball #2394
- Allow global Stack arguments with a script #2316
- Inconsistency between ToJSON and FromJSON instances of PackageLocation #2412
- Perform Unicode normalization on filepaths #1810
- Solver: always keep ghc wired-in as hard constraints #2453
- Support OpenBSD's tar where possible, require GNU tar for xz support #2283
- Fix using --coverage with Cabal-1.24 #2424
- When marking exe installed, remove old version #2373
- Stop truncating all-cabal-hashes git repo #2175
- Handle non-ASCII filenames on Windows #2491
- Avoid using multiple versions of a package in script interpreter by passing package-id to ghc/runghc #1957
- Only pre-load compiler version when using nix integration #2459
- Solver: parse cabal errors also on Windows #2502
- Allow exec and ghci commands in interpreter mode.
Scripts can now automatically open in the repl by using
exec ghciinstead of
runghcin the shebang command. #2510
- Now consider a package to be dirty when an extra-source-file is changed. See #2040
Extensible custom snapshots implemented. These allow you to define snapshots which extend other snapshots. See #863. Local file custom snapshots can now be safely updated without changing their name. Remote custom snapshots should still be treated as immutable.
stack path --compilerwas added in the last release, to yield a path to the compiler. Unfortunately,
--compileris a global option that is useful to use with
stack path. The same functionality is now provided by
stack path --compiler-exe. See #2123
- For packages specified in terms of a git or hg repo, the hash used in the location has changed. This means that existing downloads from older stack versions won't be used. This is a side-effect of the fix to #2133
stack upgradeno longer pays attention to local stack.yaml files, just the global config and CLI options. #1392
stack ghcinow uses
:load, making it potentially work better with user scripts. See #1888
- Grab Cabal files via Git SHA to avoid regressions from Hackage revisions #2070
- Custom snapshots now support
- Package git repos are now re-used rather than re-cloned. See #1620
DESTDIRis filtered from environment when installing GHC. See #1460
stack haddocknow supports
--hadock-arguments. See #2144
- Signing: warn if GPG_TTY is not set as per
- Now ignore project config when doing
stack new. See #2110
- Packages specified by git repo can now have submodules. See #2133
- Fix of hackage index fetch retry. See re-opening of #1418
- HPack now picks up changes to filesystem other than package.yaml. See #2051
- "stack solver" no longer suggests --omit-packages. See #2031
- Fixed an issue with building Cabal's Setup.hs. See #1356
- Package dirtiness now pays attention to deleted files. See #1841
stack ghcinow uses
extra-include-dirs. See #1656
- Relative paths outside of source dir added via
qAddDependentFileare now checked for dirtiness. See #1982
- Signing: always use
- Added Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (xenial) Apt repo.
- No longer uploading new versions to Fedora 21 repo.
- Snapshot packages are no longer built with executable profiling. See #1179.
stack initnow ignores symlinks when searching for cabal files. It also now ignores any directory that begins with
.(as well as
distdirs) - before it would only ignore
- The stack executable is no longer built with
-rtsopts. Before, when
-rtsoptswas enabled, stack would process
+RTSoptions even when intended for some other program, such as when used with
stack exec -- prog +RTS. See #2022.
stack path --ghc-pathsoption is deprecated and renamed to
--compileris added, which points directly at the compiler used in the current project.
--compiler-binpoints to the compiler's bin dir.
- For consistency with the
$STACK_ROOTenvironment variable, the
stack path --global-stack-rootflag and the
global-stack-rootfield in the output of
stack pathare being deprecated and replaced with the
stack-rootflag and output field. Additionally, the stack root can now be specified via the
--stack-rootcommand-line flag. See #1148.
stack sigGPG-related sub-commands were removed (folded into
- GPG signing of packages while uploading to Hackage is now the default. Use
upload --no-signatureif you would rather not contribute your package signature. If you don't yet have a GPG keyset, read this blog post on GPG keys. We can add a stack.yaml config setting to disable signing if some people desire it. We hope that people will sign. Later we will be adding GPG signature verification options.
stack build pkg-1.2.3will now build even if the snapshot has a different package version - it is treated as an extra-dep.
stack build local-pkg-1.2.3is an error even if the version number matches the local package #2028.
- Having a
nix:section no longer implies enabling nix build. This allows the user to globally configure whether nix is used (unless the project overrides the default explicitly). See #1924.
- Remove deprecated valid-wanted field.
- Docker: mount home directory in container #1949.
stack image: allow absolute source paths for
stack haddock --open [PACKAGE]opens the local haddocks in the browser.
- Fix too much rebuilding when enabling/disabling profiling flags.
stack build pkg-1.0will now build
pkg-1.0even if the snapshot specifies a different version (it introduces a temporary extra-dep)
- Experimental support for
gitpackages with submodules are supported by passing the
- When using hpack, only regenerate cabal files when hpack files change.
- hpack files can now be used in templates
stack ghcinow runs ghci as a separate process #1306
- Retry when downloading snapshots and package indices
- Many build options are configurable now in
build: library-profiling: true executable-profiling: true haddock: true haddock-deps: true copy-bins: true prefetch: true force-dirty: true keep-going: true test: true test-arguments: rerun-tests: true additional-args: ['-fprof'] coverage: true no-run-tests: true bench: true benchmark-opts: benchmark-arguments: -O2 no-run-benchmarks: true reconfigure: true cabal-verbose: true
- A number of URLs are now configurable, useful for firewalls. See #1794.
- Suggest causes when executables are missing.
- Improve the generated stack.yaml.
- Improve ghci results after :load Main module collision with main file path.
- Only load the hackage index if necessary #1883, #1892.
- init: allow local packages to be deps of deps #1965.
- Always use full fingerprints from GPG #1952.
- Default to using
gpg2and fall back to
- Add a flag for --verbosity silent.
haddock --openflag #1396.
- Package tarballs would fail to unpack. #1884.
- Fixed errant warnings about missing modules, after deleted and removed from cabal file #921 #1805.
- Now considers a package to dirty when the hpack file is changed #1819.
- Nix: cancelling a stack build now exits properly rather than dropping into a nix-shell #1778.
allow-newer: truenow causes
--exact-configurationto be passed to Cabal. See #1579.
stack solverno longer fails with
InvalidRelFilefor relative package paths including
... See #1954.
- Ignore emacs lock files when finding .cabal #1897.
- Use lenient UTF-8 decode for build output #1945.
- Clear index cache whenever index updated #1962.
- Fix: Building a container image drops a .stack-work dir in the current working (sub)directory #1975.
- Fix: Rebuilding when disabling profiling #2023.
Don't delete contents of ~/.ssh when using
stack clean --fullwith Docker enabled #2000
Build with path-io-1.0.0. There are no changes in behaviour from 1.0.4, so no binaries are released for this version.
Fixes build with aeson-0.11.0.0. There are no changes in behaviour from 1.0.4, so no binaries are released for this version.
- Some notable changes in
- Overall it should now be able to initialize almost all existing cabal packages out of the box as long as the package itself is consistently defined.
- Choose the best possible snapshot and add extra dependencies on top of a snapshot resolver rather than a compiler resolver - #1583
- Automatically omit a package (
--omit-packages) when it is compiler incompatible or when there are packages with conflicting dependency requirements - #1674.
- Some more changes for a better user experience. Please refer to the doc guide for details.
- Add support for hpack, alternative package description format #1679
- Docker: pass ~/.ssh and SSH auth socket into container, so that git repos work #1358.
- Docker: strip suffix from docker --version. #1653
- Docker: pass USER and PWD environment variables into container.
- On each run, stack will test the stack root directory (~/.stack), and the
project and package work directories (.stack-work) for whether they are
owned by the current user and abort if they are not. This precaution can
be disabled with the
allow-different-useroption in the global config (~/.stack/config.yaml). #471
stack clean --fulloption for full working dir cleanup.
- YAML config: support Zip archives.
- Redownload build plan if parsing fails #1702.
- Give mustache templates access to a 'year' tag #1716.
- Have "stack ghci" warn about module name aliasing.
- Add "stack ghci --load-local-deps".
- Build Setup.hs with -rtsopts #1687.
stack initaccepts a list of directories.
- Add flag infos to DependencyPlanFailures (for better error output in case of flags) #713
stack new --barecomplains for overwrites, and add
stack ghciwould fail with
cannot satisfy -package-idwhen the implicit build step changes the package key of some dependency.
- Fix: Building with ghcjs: "ghc-pkg: Prelude.chr: bad argument: 2980338" #1665.
- Fix running test / bench with
- Fix: build progress counter is no longer visible #1685.
- Use "-RTS" w/ profiling to allow extra args #1772.
- Fix withUnpackedTarball7z to find name of srcDir after unpacking
stack setupfails for ghcjs project on windows) #1774.
- Add space before auto-generated bench opts (makes profiling options work uniformly for applications and benchmark suites) #1771.
- Don't try to find plugin if it resembles flag.
- Setup.hs changes cause package dirtiness #1711.
- Send "stack templates" output to stdout #1792.
- Disable locale/codepage hacks when GHC >=7.10.3 #1552
- Specify multiple images to build for
stack image containerdocs
- Specify which executables to include in images for
stack image containerdocs
- Docker: pass supplemantary groups and umask into container
- If git fetch fails wipe the directory and try again from scratch #1418
- Warn if newly installed executables won't be available on the PATH #1362
- stack.yaml: for
stack image container, specify multiple images to generate, and which executables should be added to those images
- GHCI: add interactive Main selection #1068
- Care less about the particular name of a GHCJS sdist folder #1622
- Unified Enable/disable help messaging #1613
- Don't share precompiled packages between GHC/platform variants and Docker #1551
- Properly redownload corrupted downloads with the correct file size. Mailing list discussion
- Gracefully handle invalid paths in error/warning messages #1561
- Nix: select the correct GHC version corresponding to the snapshot
even when an abstract resolver is passed via
--resolveron the command-line. #1641
- Fix: Stack does not allow using an external package from ghci #1557
- Disable ambiguous global '--resolver' option for 'stack init' #1531
- Fix: GHCJS Execute.hs: Non-exhaustive patterns in lambda #1591
- Send file-watch and sticky logger messages to stderr #1302 #1635
- Use globaldb path for querying Cabal version #1647
We're calling this version 1.0.0 in preparation for Stackage LTS 4. Note, however, that this does not mean the code's API will be stable as this is primarily an end-user tool.
- Added flag
--profileflag: passed with
stack build, it will enable profiling, and for
--testit will generate a profiling report by passing
+RTS -pto the executable(s). Great for using like
stack build --bench --profile(remember that enabling profile will slow down your benchmarks by >4x). Run
stack build --benchagain to disable the profiling and get proper speeds
- Added flag
--traceflag: just like
--profile, it enables profiling, but instead of generating a report for
--test, prints out a stack trace on exception. Great for using like
stack build --test --trace
- Nix: all options can be overriden on command line #1483
- Nix: build environments (shells) are now pure by default.
- Make verbosity silent by default in script interpreter mode #1472
- Show a message when resetting git commit fails #1453
- Improve Unicode handling in project/package names #1337
- Fix ambiguity between a stack command and a filename to execute (prefer
- Support multi line interpreter directive comments #1394
- Handle space separated pids in ghc-pkg dump (for GHC HEAD) #1509
- Add ghci --no-package-hiding option #1517
stack newcan download templates from URL #1466
- Nix: stack exec options are passed properly to the stack sub process #1538
- Nix: specifying a shell-file works in any current working directory #1547
- Nix: use
- Docker: fix missing image message and '--docker-auto-pull'
- No HTML escaping for "stack new" template params #1475
- Set permissions for generated .ghci script #1480
- Restrict commands allowed in interpreter mode #1504
- stack ghci doesn't see preprocessed files for executables #1347
- All test suites run even when only one is requested #1550
- Edge cases in broken templates give odd errors #1535
- Fix test coverage bug on windows
stack image containerdid not actually build an image #1473
- The Stack home page is now at haskellstack.org, which shows the documentation rendered by readthedocs.org. Note: this has necessitated some changes to the links in the documentation's markdown source code, so please check the links on the website before submitting a PR to fix them.
- The locations of the
package repositories have changed to have correct URL semantics according to
#1378. The old
locations will continue to work for some months, but we suggest that you
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/fpco.listto the new location to avoid future disruption.
- openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise packages are now available, thanks to @mimi1vx. Note: there will be some lag before these pick up new versions, as they are based on Stackage LTS.
- Support for building inside a Nix-shell providing system dependencies #1285
- Add optional GPG signing on
stack upload --signor with
stack sig sign ...
- Print latest applicable version of packages on conflicts #508
- Support for packages located in Mercurial repositories #1397
- Only run benchmarks specified as build targets #1412
- Support git-style executable fall-through (
stack-somethingif present) #1433
- GHCi now loads intermediate dependencies #584
--work-diroption for overriding
- Docker: improved POSIX signal proxying to containers #547
- Show absolute paths in error messages in multi-package builds #1348
- Docker-built binaries and libraries in different path #911 #1367
--resolverargument didn't effect selected image tag
- GHCi: Spaces in filepaths caused module loading issues #1401
- GHCi: cpp-options in cabal files weren't used #1419
- Benchmarks couldn't be run independently of eachother #1412
- Send output of building setup to stderr #1410
- GHCJS can now be used with stackage snapshots via the new
- Windows installers are now available: download them here #613
- Docker integration works with non-FPComplete generated images #531
- Added an
allow-newerconfig option #922 #770
- When a Hackage revision invalidates a build plan in a snapshot, trust the snapshot #770
- Added a
stack config set resolver RESOLVERcommand. Part of work on #115
stack setupcan now install GHCJS on windows. See #1145 and #749
stack hpc reportcommand added, which generates reports for HPC tix files
stack ghcinow accepts all the flags accepted by
stack build. See #1186
stack ghcibuilds the project before launching GHCi. If the build fails, optimistically launch GHCi anyway. Use
stack ghci --no-buildoption to disable #1065
stack ghcinow detects and warns about various circumstances where it is liable to fail. See #1270
- Packages will now usually be built along with their tests and benchmarks. See #1166
local-bin-pathpaths will be relative to the project's root directory, not the current working directory. #1340
stack cleannow takes an optional
[PACKAGE]argument for use in multi-package projects. See #583
- Ignore cabal_macros.h as a dependency #1195
- Pad timestamps and show local time in --verbose output #1226
- GHCi: Import all modules after loading them #995
- Add subcommand aliases:
- Add typo recommendations for unknown package identifiers #158
stack path --local-hpc-rootoption
- Overhaul dependencies' haddocks copying #1231
- Support for extra-package-dbs in 'stack ghci' #1229
stack newdisallows package names with "words" consisting solely of numbers #1336
stack build --fastturns off optimizations
- Show progress while downloading package index #1223.
- Fix: Haddocks not copied for dependencies #1105
- Fix: Global options did not work consistently after subcommand #519
- Fix: 'stack ghci' doesn't notice that a module got deleted #1180
- Rebuild when cabal file is changed
- Fix: Paths in GHC warnings not canonicalized, nor those for packages in subdirectories or outside the project root #1259
- Fix: unlisted files in tests and benchmarks trigger extraneous second build #838
stack setupnow supports building and booting GHCJS from source tarball.
- On Windows, build directories no longer display "pretty" information (like x86_64-windows/Cabal-18.104.22.168), but rather a hash of that content. The reason is to avoid the 260 character path limitation on Windows. See #1027
- Rename config files and clarify their purposes #969
- Old locations still supported, with deprecation warnings
- New command "stack eval CODE", which evaluates to "stack exec ghc -- -e CODE".
- No longer install
giton Windows #1046. You can still get this behavior by running the following yourself:
stack exec -- pacman -Sy --noconfirm git.
- Typing enter during --file-watch triggers a rebuild #1023
- Use Haddock's
--hyperlinked-source(crosslinked source), if available #1070
- Use Stack-installed GHCs for
stack init --solver#1072
- New experimental
stack querycommand #1087
- By default, stack no longer rebuilds a package due to GHC options changes. This behavior can be tweaked with the
- By default, ghc-options are applied to all local packages, not just targets. This behavior can be tweaked with the
- Docker: download or override location of stack executable to re-run in container #974
- Docker: when Docker Engine is remote, don't run containerized processes as host's UID/GID #194
set-useroption to enable/disable running containerized processes as host's UID/GID #194
- Custom Setup.hs files are now precompiled instead of interpreted. This should be a major performance win for certain edge cases (biggest example: building Cabal itself) while being either neutral or a minor slowdown for more common cases.
stack test --coveragenow also generates a unified coverage report for multiple test-suites / packages. In the unified report, test-suites can contribute to the coverage of other packages.
- Ignore stack-built executables named
- Fix quoting of output failed command line arguments
- Mark executable-only packages as installed when copied from cache #1043
- Canonicalize temporary directory paths #1047
- Put code page fix inside the build function itself #1066
explicit-setup-depsoption #1110, and change the default to the old behavior of using any package in the global and snapshot database #1025
- Precompiled cache checks full package IDs on Cabal < 1.22 #1103
- Pass -package-id to ghci #867
- Ignore global packages when copying precompiled packages #1146
- On Windows, we now use a full MSYS2 installation in place of the previous PortableGit. This gives you access to the pacman package manager for more easily installing libraries.
- Support for custom GHC binary distributions #530
ghc-variantoption in stack.yaml to specify the variant (also
setup-infoin stack.yaml, to specify where to download custom binary distributions (also
- Note: On systems with libgmp4 (aka
libgmp.so.3), such as CentOS 6, you may need to re-run
stack setupdue to the centos6 GHC bindist being treated like a variant
- A new
--pvp-boundsflag to the sdist and upload commands allows automatic adding of PVP upper and/or lower bounds to your dependencies
- Adapt to upcoming Cabal installed package identifier format change #851
stack setuptakes a
--file-watchis more discerning about which files to rebuild for #912
stack pathnow supports
--reconfigureflag #914 #946
- Cached data is written with a checksum of its structure #889
- Fully removed
--file-watch-pollflag for polling instead of using filesystem events (useful for running tests in a Docker container while modifying code in the host environment. When code is injected into the container via a volume, the container won't propagate filesystem events).
- Give a preemptive error message when
-profis given as a GHC option #1015
- Locking is now optional, and will be turned on by setting the
STACK_LOCKenvironment variable to
- Create default stack.yaml with documentation comments and commented out options #226
- Out of memory warning if Cabal exits with -9 #947
- Hacky workaround for optparse-applicative issue with
stack exec --help#806
- Build executables for local extra deps #920
- copyFile can't handle directories #942
- Support for spaces in Haddock interface files fpco/minghc#85
- Temporarily building against a "shadowing" local package? #992
- Fix Setup.exe name for --upgrade-cabal on Windows #1002
- Unlisted dependencies no longer trigger extraneous second build #838
Fix stack's own Haddocks. No changes to functionality (only comments updated).
- You now have more control over how GHC versions are matched, e.g. "use exactly this version," "use the specified minor version, but allow patches," or "use the given minor version or any later minor in the given major release." The default has switched from allowing newer later minor versions to a specific minor version allowing patches. For more information, see #736 and #784.
- Support added for compiling with GHCJS
- stack can now reuse prebuilt binaries between snapshots. That means that, if you build package foo in LTS-3.1, that binary version can be reused in LTS-3.2, assuming it uses the same dependencies and flags. #878
- Added the
--docker-envargument, to set environment variables in Docker container.
- Set locale environment variables to UTF-8 encoding for builds to avoid "commitBuffer: invalid argument" errors from GHC #793
- Enable translitation for encoding on stdout and stderr #824
- By default,
stack upgradeautomatically installs GHC as necessary #797
- Added the
ghc-optionsfield to stack.yaml #796
- Added the
extra-pathfield to stack.yaml
- Code page changes on Windows only apply to the build command (and its synonyms), and can be controlled via a command line flag (still defaults to on) #757
- Implicitly add packages to extra-deps when a flag for them is set #807
- Use a precompiled Setup.hs for simple build types #801
- Set --enable-tests and --enable-benchmarks optimistically #805
--only-configureoption added #820
- Check for duplicate local package names
- Stop nagging people that call
--file-watchwill ignore files that are in your VCS boring/ignore files #703
stack init --solverfails if
GHC_PACKAGE_PATHis present #860
stack init --solvercheck for test suite and benchmark dependencies #862
- More intelligent logic for setting UTF-8 locale environment variables #856
- Create missing directories for
- Don't ignore .cabal files with extra periods #895
- Deprecate unused
- Truncated output on slow terminals #413
Ignore disabled executables #763
- Detect when a module is compiled but not listed in the cabal file (#32)
- A warning is displayed for any modules that should be added to
other-modulesin the .cabal file
- These modules are taken into account when determining whether a package needs to be built
- A warning is displayed for any modules that should be added to
- Respect TemplateHaskell addDependentFile dependency changes (#105)
- TH dependent files are taken into account when determining whether a package needs to be built.
- Overhauled target parsing, added
- For details, see Build commands documentation
- Set the
HASKELL_DIST_DIRenvironment variable #524
- Track build status of tests and benchmarks #525
- Targets outside of root dir don't build #366
- Upper limit on number of flag combinations to test #543
- Fuzzy matching support to give better error messages for close version numbers #504
--local-bin-pathglobal option. Use to change where binaries get placed on a
- Custom snapshots #111
- --force-dirty flag: Force treating all local packages as having dirty files (useful for cases where stack can't detect a file change)
- GHC error messages: display file paths as absolute instead of relative for better editor integration
- Add the
- Give warnings on unexpected config keys #48
- Remove Docker
- Don't require cabal-install to upload #313
- Generate indexes for all deps and all installed snapshot packages #143
--resolver globaloption #645
- Also supports
--resolver lts, and
- Also supports
stack build --flagerror when flag or package is unknown #617
- Preserve file permissions when unpacking sources #666
stack buildetc work outside of a project
--only-dependenciesimplemented correctly #387
- Extensions from the
other-extensionsfield no longer enabled by default #449
- Fix: haddock forces rebuild of empty packages #452
- Don't copy over executables excluded by component selection #605
- Fix: stack fails on Windows with git package in stack.yaml and no git binary on path #712
- Fixed GHCi issue: Specifying explicit package versions (#678)
- Fixed GHCi issue: Specifying -odir and -hidir as .stack-work/odir (#529)
- Fixed GHCi issue: Specifying A instead of A.ext for modules (#498)
--ignore-subdirsflag to init command #435
- Handle attempt to use non-existing resolver #436
- exec style commands accept the
--packageoption (see Reddit discussion)
stack uploadwithout arguments doesn't do anything #439
- Print latest version of packages on conflicts #450
- Flag to avoid rerunning tests that haven't changed #451
- stack can act as a script interpreter (see [Script interpreter] (https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/wiki/Script-interpreter) and Reddit discussion)
- Add the
--file-watchflag to auto-rebuild on file changes #113
stack docker execto
stack exec --plain
- Add the
--keep-going, turned on by default for tests and benchmarks #478
- Use hashes to check file dirtiness #502
- Install correct GHC build on systems with libgmp.so.3 #465
stack upgradechecks version before upgrading #447
- Remove GHC uncompressed tar file after installation #376
- Put stackage snapshots JSON on S3 #380
- Specifying flags for multiple packages #335
- single test suite failure should show entire log #388
- valid-wanted is a confusing option name #386
- stack init in multi-package project should use local packages for dependency checking #384
- Display information on why a snapshot was rejected #381
- Give a reason for unregistering packages #389
stack execaccepts the
- Don't require build plan to upload #400
- Specifying test components only builds/runs those tests #398
- Add the
stack upgradeadded #237
--stack-yamlcommand line flag #378
--skip-ghc-checkcommand line flag #423
- Haddock links to global packages no longer broken on Windows #375
- Make flags case-insensitive #397
- Mark packages uninstalled before rebuilding #365
- Fall back to cabal dependency solver when a snapshot can't be found
- Basic implementation of
stack solvercommand #364
stack pathcommand #95
- Haddocks #143:
- Build for dependencies
- Use relative links
- Generate module contents and index for all packages in project
uploadcommand ported from stackage-upload #225
- Specify intra-package target #201
- Fix some Windows specific bugs #216
- Improve output for package index updates #227
- Automatically update indices as necessary #227
- --verbose flag #217
- Remove packages (HTTPS and Git) #199
- Config values for system-ghc and install-ghc
stack depsfunctionality into
installcommand #153 and #272
- overriding architecture value (useful to force 64-bit GHC on Windows, for example)
- Overhauled test running (allows cycles, avoids unnecessary recompilation, etc)
- First public release, beta quality